Subject: RE: Lightwave Reviews
From: [email-masked]
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Jan 1996 17:08:25 -0500

Subj:	RE: Lightwave Reviews

>You are not a weirdo, but I think I can explain why most reviewers have the 
>same opinion about Lightwave's user interface. 

>First, I must admit that I have never used an Amiga, so I am not here to bash 
>it. From that I understand, it was a great computer in it's time. However, 
>most of the home PC's in the world are now IBM compatible, and more than 
>likely they are running an OS made by Microsoft. With this being the fact, 
>it's not hard to imagine that most of the reviews you have read were written 
>by people like myself who have no other frame of reference in operating 
>systems. Good or bad, most of the PC users are accustom to the Windows' 
>interface. 

"stuff deleted"

>However, the interface is far from perfect. There are many things that Newtek 
>could do to keep the "look and feel" of the interface while making it more 
>productive. For example, instead of having the buttons on the left of the 
>Layout stay in place, why not put them on a movable tool pallet similar to 
>what is done in Photoshop. And I don't know how many times I've wanted to move 
>the rendered frame panel out of the way so that I could look at the wireframe 
>underneath. 

Michael,

  Well remebering that LW comes from the Amiga explanes some of this. On the
Amiga we have the ability to render the frame full size, and swap between
this and the layout screen with a keystroke. I think the rush to get it over
to dos made NewTek compromise on some of these options. As for moving the 
buttons, several Amiga PD programs offered this. They worked on many of the
programs I tried, but LW was not one of them. ADPro has this type of interface.
Again, I think NewTeks goal was simply to get it working on dos. Once this is
done they can always work on the interface later. I run windows at work(no LW)
and an Amiga at home. I feel the Amiga is nicer due to it's true multitasking,
and memory leas OS.
 I find windows awkward but in all honesty I tend to avoid it (This is done
on my VaxStation). Maybe someday I'll get used to it, Thinking back though
I have already put more time into windows than I did to learn the Amiga
workbench.
 
>I just thought I would give my 2 cents worth...
 Gee, your welcome to at least a nickels worth!

  -bill

                      +-------------------------------+
                      |                               |
                      |         Bill Leimberger       |
                      |                               |
                      [email-masked] |
                      |                               |
                      +-------------------------------+